Monday, June 23, 2008

Catching Up!

Hello people!

I’ve been hiding! Actually, my niece (Heather) and her boyfriend (Justin) came to TN to visit this weekend. We had a blast. I laughed so much. They are just so funny. I did learn that I’m too old to keep up with people around the age of 18 (or younger). Seriously, I was worn out but again it was so much fun. I’m young at HEART not so much physically and mentally. We did the tourist thing. We went to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge and walked till we couldn’t walk anymore. I live here and never go up to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge except for the HUGE Tanger outlet mall they have. Everything else is is just a tourist trap…they try to rob you of your money. We had fun though. We rode the go carts and played putt putt. We did get ripped off on one attraction. So, please talk to me before you go. I learned a great way to enjoy some of what Pigeon Forge has to offer…. Of course I learned AFTER we got ripped off but that’s okay. Life is full of lessons.

I seriously have so much I want to share. However, I can’t do it all at once. It’s just not humanly possible. Let’s start with today’s date…today is June 23 which means that I can officially say that I’m having my implant surgery in LESS than a month! How exciting is that?!!!! Over the weekend I was so busy hanging out that I didn’t really think about the waiting. Heather and Justin were sooo patient with me regarding my hearing issues. Of course Heather is used to it as I’ve been hearing impaired since before she was born but as I've mentioned before I seem to struggle more these days. I appreciate their patience a lot. People make faces even though they don't realize it. I think hearing people forget we rely on facial cues so we pick up a lot more than the common person. The car is the hardest part especially at night I can’t read lips. I had Justin open his phone so the light could reflect off mouth so I could read his lips. That worked out really well. They both just had no problems with the hearing issues at all. I love them for it. Big thanks to both of them!

I did get the book Rebuilt so I’m going to start sharing the insights I get from Michael's book.Try to keep a look out for those posts. I'm not sure if I'm going to make whole posts for it or share links to it. I'll figure that out soon. I have also been catching up on my blog readings. Everyone had a great time at the HLAA convention. I’m disappointed that I wasn’t able to go. I really am. I am going next year. There are so many people I want to meet. (Random thought: I wonder what the chances are of Abbie getting on a plan again? Haha!!) You know now that I think about it, I’m not even a member of the HLAA yet. I’m not sure how to go about that. I’ve been to 2 meetings but that’s it since we don’t meet during the summer. I wish I could use my current degree (Marriage and Family Therapist/Professional Counselor) to help hard of hearing/deaf people. However, I don’t see how. I am becoming increasing frustrated that I have a Master’s degree and nothing to show for it. In fact it is beyond frustrating. Although I must admit I can’t leave my job now for anything because I am about to have surgery and I have benefits and short term leave. Plus I plan on going back to school to become a nurse. I just wish I didn’t have to go back to school to become a nurse and I could find something with the degree I have but I’ve looked everywhere. That’s my soap box for another blog and another time. I went off topic. That won’t be the last time it happens....so I will apologize for that another time.

Right now I must go to sleep. I will try to share some more tomorrow…I promise! Right now I’m so tired I can’t even think straight! After work we had to run a billion errands ONE of those errands included picking up my husband’s blackberry! YES, he got one too. Haha. We LOVE the phone. I’m telling you we are gadget freaks. I’m surprised we don’t have a remote control that will flush the toilet. Now that he has a blackberry we both have the same phone capabilities such as email and blackberry instant messenger. I’m so excited. It will really come in handy that's for sure. We love our toys...serious toys!

Okay, I'm really off to bed. I'm getting grouchy. I'm so tired I don't think I can finish the rest of this pos......zzzzzzzzz.......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

4 comments:

Laurie said...

Karen,

You are just too funny! I agree with you on Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. I prefer the "Peaceful Side of the Smokies!"

It is easy to join HLAA. Just go to www.hearingloss.org and sign up. You will get discounts for hotels, rental cars, conventions, etc. just to name a few. I would also check the website to see if there is a possible way you can use your degree to help the deaf and hard of hearing. You would be so GREAT!

Wow, your surgery is getting close! I know you are getting excited and anxious!

Hugs!

Cyborg Queen said...

Karen,
*hugs* Time will fly by fast! If you want to publicize your degree in marriage counseling or stuff like that, I suggest you to have it published at your State's DDHH magazine. I'm not sure what it's called, but for NJ it's called Monthly Communicator. You can advertise about it. Of course, you may want to wait until you finish with your surgeries, and get a job in that field. It's out there, but just need to know the ins and outs. Hopefully with the HLAA meetings, that should help you network a little. :-)

Shari said...

I just graduated and I have diplomas and certificates and I can't find jobs for them. Mostly it's receptionist or medical transcriptionist-typ0e jobs and they require listening. I had to set up an appt with my voc rehab counselor (next week) to see how she can help me find SOMETHING I can do. Of course, I have an "invisible" appt for a CI surgery, too-within the next three months (munis one week and a half).

Shari said...

Oops. That should be (minus one week and a half). Wake up, fingers.