Sunday, June 15, 2008

What happens later?

When I started entertaining the idea of becoming a cyborg I did a lot of reading and even soul searching...tons of it. That's how I started reading blogs in the first place. In fact, blogs have made a huge impact on me. I've also met people. I started going to the HLAA meetings which I never even knew existed until my Audiologist told me about it. I've been hearing impaired (in both ears) for over 21 years and never knew of HLAA. It's a great resource. I really wish we were still meeting over the summer but we are not. I like having access to all these people who have been before me...they are already cyborgs. I REALLY enjoy hanging out with cyborgs...it gives me peace and hope and SUPPORT!!!! I wish I could talk to someone everyday but I can't because people have lives, you know unlike myself. I guess part of me feels like...well, I can't even explain it...where are the words? (Taping finger on desk...thinking, thinking some more) Lets try it this way... I guess by talking to Susan and Laurie and other people in the blogging world...I feel CONNECTED and that this is going to happen! Despite the fact that my surgery is only a month (and a week) away, it really seems like light years. I don’t know, I think talking to others who have been through it or are about to go through it makes me feel like I’m involved in the process and that I’m keeping myself busy. It is exciting talking to others and to learn about their experience. There is another side to all of this…I think I’ve been deprived too. I never really had anyone else to talk to about the frustrations of being hearing impaired. In fact, I didn’t even think my own frustrations where real until I read about other people having the same feelings as me! It’s like this amazing realization! Now I feel like I have an outlet a place to share all the things that I’ve had to hold back b/c I didn’t really have anyone to turn to. Maybe I should just buy a punching bag? :-)

So, of all the questions I have asked other cyborgs one still remains...what happens later? What happens 10 or 15 years from now when the technology is better? What do I do? I know some people already have "older" models and the processor is backward compatible. But what if something REALLY spectacular comes out later? It's a hard thought to reconcile with. I guess it's one of those things that can never really be answered. It's all a gamble and I'm just hoping and praying that I win the jackpot! I can compare this issue with other gadgets like computer and cell phone…definitely cell phones (lets not forget my cell phone addiction). For example I just bought a Blackberry Curve 8330 and they are about to release the Blackberry Bold which is going to much better than the phone I have. It sucks knowing that something better is going to be out there then what I have. Although I have to admit I’m pretty happy with what I’ve got…but if I see the Bold up close and personal I may get jealous. The same thing with computers…you can buy a computer today and then a month from now something much better and faster will be available. It’s frustrating. Now, if this happens with the implant I may turn into the Hulk b/c it will seriously be frustrating since the “COMPUTER” will be IN my HEAD and it WIL NOT and CAN NOT (without surgery) come out! I do not have the power to take it out. That’s another thing that it hard to grasp. With the hearing aids…I take it out…I control it...ME ME ME! However with the implant not so much…in fact, not really at all. The only power I have is to turn it on and off but the computer part of it does everything else. Talk about scary! Okay, I’m getting too deep here...time to move on to something else!

Believe it or not I think my thought process is healthy. I must come to terms with all of this the best that I can. Despite all the stuff I have mentioned I still want the implant and I have no reservations about getting it. I’m more excited that I am nervous. The things I’m nervous about has more to do with how I will respond to the implant. I'm nervous about the acivation b/c I know things will sound like...well thinks will sound YUCKY. In the mean time I just have some questions and thoughts to reason out. The “What if” questions are always the worst and can never really be answered. I am aware of that. All I know is that July 22nd seems like light years away so…maybe my questions will make for a good post and perhaps keep me occupied until then. :-)

I hope everyone at the HLAA Convention is having a blast. I can’t wait to read all about it.

4 comments:

Cyborg Queen said...

You know, I was just like you a couple months ago of thinking "What Ifs?" until it started to drive me crazy. I thought of reserving my right just for that reason. However, after doing quite a bit of research, Cochlear has been very good with backward compatible for their implants. People who were implanted 10 years ago, are able to use the Freedom processor without a problem. AB did have an issue for those who had the implant 10 years ago, and they are working on it. But, if those people who have AB now (The HiRes90K implant), will still have backward compatibility 10 years from now. Cochlear's implant had always have 22 electrodes. So, I doubt the "amount" of electrodes will get any more than that.

After thinking this through, I realized that there's always going to be something better, no matter what you do. 2 years from now, your blackberry Curve will be a distant memory.

Plus - processors is always upgraded, and it will be compatible with your implant (I don't think you ever mentioned which one you chose. I think it's AB?). The CI companies will not shun the older implantees like that.

If 20 years from now, there's even a better implant, you could always opt for surgery if you're willing to. It probably would be much more quicker and easier because they don't have to do that much of intensive work.

I've given up on the "what ifs", especially after the fact that I have two, and got activated...I couldn't be any more happier.

Laurie said...

Karen,

Cyborg Queen said it best. The implanted portion of the cochlear implant is upgradeable for future technology. Correct me if I'm wrong but I've also been told that there is space in the internal implant for Bluetooth technology. Being a cyborg means we are always "programmable."

I'm truly thankful for what I have and will not regret it. Life is too short to wait for something better to come along. The time to hear is now!

P.S. The HLAA convention was GREAT and I haven't had a chance to process it all. I'm still on a "high", especially after my big win playing BlackJack in Reno!

Will post soon. Watch for my article in the Knoxville News Sentinel!

~Laurie

Shari said...

What if? Yeah, we all do that.

I'm a wanna be cyborg, too. A hemi-cyborg for now anyway.

Glad to know that I'm not the only one who plays tennis in my head. What if....this? Okay. Whack. What if...that? Whack. I bounce around a lot of thoughts in my head, too. But reading everyone's experiences of the surgery, the activation...I realize everyone's different and everyone has a different story to the world of hearing.

Hang in there. I'll be looking forward to reading about your experience. :)

Abbie said...

I was thinking that way about my other ear but then I thought to myself that this isn't the way I live my life. I always live for the now and not the future. After the HLAA convention and watching the bilateral babies (adults) I decided that I am going to go through with it for sure next year!