Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Keep A Look Out...

This is going to be a short post today. (Well, I thought it was and then I wrote the whole thing and had to come up here and add this sentence about how it's really not that short at all...oops!). I was checking out other blogs and came across Mike Chorost's website. Many of you probably know him from his book REBUILT. I've read about him previously but for some reason didn't really check out the book. I know it was due to the fact that I wasn't sure if I was getting an implant and didn't want to get too excited about it and read the book only to find out I wasn't a candidate. Now that I know this is happening I'm all for any info I can get. If you go to his website http://www.michaelchorost.com/ you can read the first chapter of his book. I just happened to do that about 2 nights ago and was mesmerized! YES! He really opened my eyes to a lot of things I haven't thought about. I sent him an email thinking I would get a reply weeks from now or something....I don't know why I thought that. However, he replied a couple of hours later. I let him know that I bought the book (though it has not arrived in the mail yet) and that I would like to share it on my blog. What I plan on doing is read each chapter and then talk about it here. He told me I didn't need to ask him permission for that but appreciated my asking and thought it was a cool idea. I knew in advance that I didn't need to ask permission but I felt like I should ask out of respect. I do not plan on doing a "review" if that's what people think. Basically, when I read a book (except for fiction books) I write notes on the margins and underline things that "speak" to me in some way. Well, with his book I'm going to do just that but I get to share what's in the margins and what I underline right here on my blog. I have no doubt that he and I will have different experiences and I will talk about that but with the utmost respect. :-) I hope it will be interesting and thought provoking for all of us. So, keep a look out for some of those posts. :-)

Now I just need to wait for the book to arrive. Does anyone see the running theme in my life? I NEED PATIENCE! I'm always waiting for something. It's annoying.

If anyone hasn't read the book GET IT! Let's read it together. I think it will be fun and inspiring. I hope that Mike will be able to check out the blog from time to time and see that what he wrote is helping many of us!

Well, I will sign off for now...oh...and if you need any comic relief please go check out
Abby's recent post about her flight to Reno for the HLAA convention...TOO FUNNY! :-)

4 comments:

Cyborg Queen said...

I've been considering of getting Rebuilt as well.

Maybe I'll get it once I get to Las Vegas for my big move. Things are a little hectic right now, and I'm listening to "Wizard's First Rule" audiotape. It is a PIA to have it transferred to iTunes because the track titles are all screwed up. Anyways...

I had the same feeling when I was waiting for activation day...it felt like forever...:-)

Laurie said...

Michael's book was the first one I read. . . I hope to meet him in person someday so he can sign my copy! He always answers my emails to him and seems very nice.

I met Abby at the hotel when she finally arrived in Reno. . . she was so glad to get there! And was a GREAT roommate. . .I miss her already!

Hugs! Laurie

Abbie said...

Mike's book was a huge comfort to me. I strongly suggest Mike's book to anyone that is deaf or going through the CI process. He is a pretty nice guy too :) I actually met him and it was such a comfort because he was my first CI user that I ever met. You can see the flix here

Debbie/Steve said...

I had read Mike's book before Steve and I met him in person and talked to him few times at HLAA con that was held in Orlando. We heard him spoke at the banquet. He's a nice guy.