Saturday, June 7, 2008

I can't believe it!

As I've been checking out other people's blogs I can see that I'm on their blog roll. This is exciting. I am just glad that people know I exist!

Since I've talked so much about "me". I thought it might be a good time to talk about the implant. Some things I'm looking forward to and even things I'm not really looking forward to.

First let me say that I'm looking forward to getting the surgery OVER with. When I do not feel well I tend to have a lot of anxiety. I used to have panic attacks and I was on meds for that for about 5 years. A little over a year ago I got off of them and I'm doing good. I just notice that the anxiety comes more when I don't feel good which I'm okay with because it's not something that's looming over me all the time. My plan is to enjoy the drugs that come with the surgery for about 2 days or so, maybe 3 days. :-) I know some people would rather not take the pain meds unless absolutely necessary. Thankfully, I'm NOT one of those people! Bring on the Hydrocodone! I used to work at a Drug and Alcohol rehab center so no worries people...

What I am looking forward to making the implant FUN. For example I want to stick paperclips to my head. I want to walk by a fridge and act like it's pulling me toward it b/c the magnet is so strong. LOL! I think it's hilarious! I'm going to tell people I hear "aliens" talking to me through the implant and then say "Oh, I'm kidding it's your voice I hear". Yes, I've thought long and hard about these things. I'm READY! I will think of more. No doubt!

My expectations are not high. In fact, I really don't see myself understanding speech for quite some time. My right ear has been "dead" since birth (so we think). I have used a hearing aid in that ear since I was 8 years old but it's more of a security thing than "oh, this hearing aid really helps me" b/c it doesn't. I think I'm so used to depending on my LEFT ear for hearing that it's going to be a serious challenge for my brain to change that. I don't think I can tell my brain "depend on your right ear now b/c it's been implanted with an 80,000 device so USE it...NOW". It's going to take time and I realize that. Now, will I be patient? Heck no! That goes against who I am. So, I've been praying for my husband...he'll need it.

I've described this to my friend Susan and I will try to describe it here. When my "hearing" sounds distorted...like a hearing aid is broken or something has been changed I don't take it well. The anger rises from the PIT of my stomach and goes upward until I just want to SCREAM. I become seriously frustrated and sometimes I cry b/c I'm so frustrated. Am I scaring you yet? It's okay...I promise. So, that's why I know the activation thing isn't going to be easy either. I watched Jennifer's activation video. I talk about her like I know her and she has no idea who I am but I've read her blog. I think it was the 2nd activation that I watched and it's HILARIOUS! She's laughing and saying something along the lines of "you sound like mickey mouse on helium". I love her reaction to that. However, if people sound like mickey mouse on helium...well this is where the patience needs to come in. I know the brain eventually gets used to it and it gets better...but that part scares me a little b/c I don't like "distorted" sounds. I'm preparing myself though and I have another month and 15 days to keep preparing myself. Actually I have longer than that b/c activation comes 4 weeks after the surgery. So, I think I'm okay. I am so thankful I watched Jennifer's acivation video because I realize that I can't take it too seriously. That's why I think blogging is such a great resource. You never know what someone is going to say to impact another person...we are all different and it can be the really small things that impact people in a big way.

Well, there's my thoughts for now! Something I'm REALLY looking forward to and I'm not sure if it'll ever happen...but I would love to be able to hear people in the car without looking in the rear view mirror to read lips or to try to look over and read lips. I just want to be able to hear in the car without working so hard. I think if I can accomplish that (no matter how long it takes) then I will consider the implant a success. Most people have a "sound" they want to hear and that's mine. :-)

Thoughts? Comments? Advice? Bring em' on! :-)

5 comments:

Laurie said...

{smiling from ear to ear} You are such a great and funny writer! Believe me, you will be able to talk and understand in the car, even in the dark when you get activated. And yes, people will sound like Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck on helium for a few days. But that is because your auditory nerve will be rebelling and trying to figure out what those new sounds it is getting. You will do great!

Isn't this blogging fun? It's a brand new world out there - and is not as small as you may think!

Jennifer said...

Hey hon! I am the world's worst about keeping up with people (ask poor Laurie)...I got your e-mail several weeks ago and kept intending to get back with you...ain't I awful?? Forgive me?? I DO know who you are, and I'm SO GLAD you got your blog up and running! I am loving reading all about your experiences!
I'm so glad you got some benefit from my video! My first activation wasn't quite so funny but the second one was hilarious. I knew that it would get better, so what I heard in the beginning was pretty much inconsequential...so I just enjoyed it :)
I'm so excited about your upcoming new ear...it will be so much fun reading on your blog and sharing the story with you!! (((hugs)))

Jennifer said...

Oh, and after reading your post again...I am another one of those that loves to play with my implant...I am forever sticking fridge magnets on my head. My teenagers think I'm embarrassing but the little kids think I'm incredibly cool!!
And I can hear people talking in the backseat of my car...for the first time in my entire life. It's absolutely amazing!!

tammy said...

Hi Karen,
Thanks so much for sharing your story! I love reading blogs from adults who have gotten CI's because it helps understand what my son will go through the day he gets activated; he won't be able to tell us what he hears/feels (he is 2 1/2 months and born with profound hearing loss in both ears). I'm excited to follow your story up to and past your surgery and activation day!!

Abbie said...

I'm chuckling about the paper clips. I recently laid my head down on my desk in frustration and up came a bunch of paper clips :)