Monday, August 18, 2008

Activation...

Well, I am not going to type much on this post. I just wanted to share that my implant was activated today. I'm not sure if what I experienced is normal. In fact, I'm pretty sure it wasn't. Things are incredibly loud. In fact, too loud. When they turned on the processor I jumped about 5 feet. I thought I was going to be sick at first b/c things were just so loud it was painful to listen to it. It takes a lot for me to wear the implant. All I hear is this loud roar and it sounds exactly like a chain saw. I can't hear anything over the roar. It is tough...but I'll get through it. I will take it one day at a time and just wear it until I can tolerate it. I was freaking out at first and was able to leave the room and cry and then go back in and try again. I haven't worn the processor since I left the office but I will. If anyone has experienced anything like this or knows anyone who has please e-mail me and talk to me. I feel like something is wrong or perhaps the processor is set too loud? I don't know. The audiologist called Cochlear and they said all of this is normal and my brain will eventually get used to it. My concern is that how is my brain going to get used to it if I can't tolerate the noise? It really is that loud and like I said it's like having a chain saw in your ear. It is incredibly uncomfortable. If they put me in a hearing booth and tried to test my hearing I would fail it 100% because I can't hear anything over the chain saw sound. Pretty crazy.

Well...I'm going to sign off for now.

7 comments:

Shari said...

Hi Karen, I'm sorry I can't help you with your chain saw dilemma, but I hope somehow you can get used to it. Didn't the audie want to adjust the map at a lower setting? I am constantly trying to tell myself not to expect too much with my first activation. Did you get any eye twitching? Several people have had that.

I have my activation next Monday. Yikes. I am an oxymoron-I'm looking forward to it, but then again, I am not. I just don't want to be disappointed at first. Then again, I'm sure everyone who has had a CI remembers the time and adjustments they went through.

I just had to ask...did you really FIVE feet? Did you bump your head on the ceiling? A little humor here...smile.

Anonymous said...

Aw Karen, I'm so sorry to hear it was a rough activation for you. I know you were nervous about something like that happening. When do you go back for another mapping session?

I hope you can stand to wear it a little bit every day and maybe that chainsaw sound will turn into something tolerable.

I know it must be disappointing though, and I hope things get better very, very soon!

Sending good thoughts your way,

Wendi

Jennifer said...

I'm so sorry, Karen! I don't know anyone personally who's had to deal with that...I know that I didn't have the 'typical' first experience, either, although mine did get better over time. All I know to tell you is to keep at it...just a little bit every day...and see if your audiologist can't get a Cochlear rep to come tweak it if it doesn't get better...that sounds rough!! ((hugs))
Hang in there...I'm thinking of you!

Abbie said...

Honey,

I have never heard of the chainsaw sound either but it is a common theme of where activation does sound very loud. With some time and positive attitude, it will get better. Did you turn the sensitivity and volume down yet?

Debbie/Steve said...

I'm sorry to hear that your activation did not do well as it was expected. Did you contact your audie and tell her what you are experiencing? Hang in there and it will all be taken care of soon. You'll be in my thoughts.

Laurie said...

Karen,

Hang in there. You have been in my thoughts and prayers! Everyone here has given some good comments. . . it will get better. . . remember, this is all new to you and your brain. . .

Just like a broken bone hurts as it heals with therapy. . . but gets better over time. You, too, will "heal" (hear) and make improvements with baby steps.

Keep in touch with me. . .

Hugs!

Cyborg Queen said...

Hey! Chainsaw sound - YEP! I had the same thing after a day of activation. It does get better.

If it contiunes after a couple days to a week, it needs to be toned down just a wee bit. Sometimes I found ADRO does that for me, other times it's just being overwhelmed with all the sounds. I remember it happened to me...TWICE in both ears, and I knew that over time my brain will adjust and it will get better. I'm off to read your other posts!