Saturday, August 2, 2008

My First Closed Captioned Movie

Today I went to see my first closed captioned movie. Or is it called Open Captioned? Whatever it is! I am sure you know that I'm talking about. My husband and I went to see Batman. He wanted to see it so badly and deserved it after taking such great care of me! It was a great movie. :-) I'm glad we went.

I must admit though...I wasn't very impressed with the caption. In fact I was very annoyed. The words were in a light yellow color so when the film wasn't dark it was impossible to read the caption. I couldn't read it at times and that really bothered me a lot. I realize they are trying to make it where it doesn't bother hearing people. However, there were only 8 people in the theater (including us). I don't understand why it's not in black/white font like it is on the t.v. (black background with white font). The yellow font is incredibly annoying. At least I understood more of the movie than I would have without the caption. Perhaps I'm being too picky. I don't know.

Yesterday Jason and I went out to eat at Olive Garden and it was sooo nice to get out of the house! It really was. I really am feeling so much better. I am definitely looking forward to Monday (stitches and staples are coming out). Yesterday I was bold enough to blow dry my hair ...I do it very carefully since my head/ear are still tender but wearing my hair down is nice because there is no way anyone would know I have staples in my head. I don't want to gross people out. :-) It's nice being able to get out and do more things. I realize I get tired easy but I know that will fade. It's probably just from not doing much anyway. I plan on going back to work on Wednesday. Hearing is not a necessity with my job so that is a good thing. I am sure it will be frustrating at times but I will just take it a day at a time. I just hope people will be patient with me and treat me "normal".

I will post back after my Dr's appt. on Monday!

4 comments:

Laurie said...

Sounds like each day is better than the last! You are doing great!

You are probably tired from the anesthesia more than the surgery itself. . . it will get better!

Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Yay, Karen -- it sounds like you are doing really well. :) I've noticed I get a little more energy back every day too.

I know what you mean about those open captions! The theater here has OC showings on weekends, usually a matinee time. They show it once each day. The only people that ever go to that showing are deaf/HOH. And it is so hard to read sometimes! I really noticed that in Iron Man, with all the scenes in the desert. The sand and the captions were practically the same color. LOL!

Monday is almost here. :)

~ Wendi

Cyborg Queen said...

Yeah it's called Open Captioned movies. :-)

I know what you mean, it totally sucks. The reason is exactly like you said, to not intrude hearing people. Some hearing people do not like to have anything "blocking" the view.

It cannot be white because that would be very hard to see. Can't be black because it will be too obvious, or difficult to see during dark scenes like night scenes. So, it has to be in the middle.

What I do recommend you is to checkout Regal's website, that tells you RVC - Rear View Captioning. I'm not sure if you've use it, but it's basically a dot matrix screen that's on the back of the theater and you get a "stand" with a tinted mirror. The captioning is reflected off that. You can adjust where you want the captioning to be. I usually adjust to the bottom. It may get a bit annoying to get used to, but it's a hellva lot better than the yellow captioning.

Abbie said...

The reason why it is yellow is because white does not show up on light backgrounds but yellow does with a grey/black outline. Plus it helps blind people see the captioning as well.