Monday, August 4, 2008

I know my activation date!!!!!!

Drum Roll.....Activation date is....August 18th @ 8:30am! I'm excited about it since I know the date. I don't know if many of you have read Wendi's blog but she really hit on something for me. I am looking forward to the activation but at the same time I realize things aren't going to sound all wonderful so I’m not looking forward to that part. As I’ve said before I don’t like when things sound abnormal. I just hope that since I’m aware that things aren’t going to sound great at first I won’t have a bad attitude about it. I must keep in mine the activation is a step forward in working toward hearing things again...well, ever I guess. I don't think my right ever worked…well it did a little with the hearing aid but not much. So, that is exciting.

I did get the staples and stitches out! Thank God. I didn't feel a thing. It really doesn't hurt. I'm going to try to explain this so people know why the staple removal does not hurt. If I had known this I probably wouldn't have been nervous about it. The staples in my head were a lot like a staple holding paper together. HOWEVER, removing them is not like using a staple remover. The device they use applies pressure and makes the staples go straight so it's just taking it right out. The nurse does not "pull" the staples out. It unfolds the part that is under the skin and makes is straight so it comes right out. That is nice to know isn't it??? No pain at all. Of course my head is still numb for the most part. The stitches were a breeze too. They did put some glue on the incision part behind my ear and some strips to go over it. I can't wash my hair for two days. I'm going to but I will wash my hair by putting my head under the faucet in the tub. I won't get my ear wet. I will be careful. The strips will stay on my ear for about two weeks until they start to peel off. I didn't realize they were going to do that but ANYTHING was better than the staples and stitches. It already feels so much better. When the nurse took everything out she got some rubbing alcohol and rubbed the incisions (behind my hear and on my head) and this is going to sound so weird but if felt so good!!!!! My husband washed my ear with soap and water but he couldn’t scrub it b/c that would have hurt. I said “that feels so good” and felt weird for saying that out loud. I hope I didn’t freak her out. LOL! A lot of the pressure that I felt is gone too. I think that had a lot to do with the staples. I do still feel like there is something in my head. I am sure I will get used to that. I really hope the strips behind my ear peel off before the activation date! I am sure it won’t interfere but I don’t want them to be worried about it if they are still there. My activation is literally two weeks from today!

I am going back to work on Wednesday. I know I won't be excited once I go back...haha. However it does mean that life is slowly going back to normal and that's always a nice feeling. I am so glad to be over the surgery part. I didn't find it fun at all.

Now, the taste buds are still a little off but hey life goes on. I did step on a scale at the doctor's office and I've lost a few pounds...about 7lbs. However, I don't see it or feel it in anyway. I don't think it has much to do with the taste buds to be honest. I feel like I've been eating normal. I don't know. It could just be the scale was off. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised at all. :-) I did find out that Diet Coke taste much better than Diet Pepsi. Before surgery I wouldn’t drink Diet Coke if that was all that was available. So, I might make a slight change. I'm going to TRY To stick with the water though. Once I go back to work I'm not sure I will be able to stick with it since I thrive off caffeine!

I'm going to take a nap now. I didn't sleep well last night. It had nothing to do with my head or any type of pain. I think it was just one of those nights I didn't sleep well. I was excited about today's appt. I REALLY wanted the staples/stitches out in case anyone didn't pick up on that.

So...August 18th...mark your calendars! :-)

5 comments:

Laurie said...

Yay! My calendar is marked!!!!! It will take time for you to hear. . . but you will hear something. I heard things right away but didn't really have my "aha" moment until about 7 months later when things got more crystal clear.

Enjoy your nap!

Hugs!

Shari said...

Remember how long it takes to get used to new hearing aids? I am sure we just have to deal with it until we adjust to the sounds, only that it'll take longer in some ways than it did with the hearing aids.

Wow. Your activation date is earlier than mine and Wendi's are. Mine is August 25.

Anonymous said...

Karen, thanks for describing how they remove staples. I've never had them and had NO idea how they would do it. I'm glad that it wasn't painful!

I've got my calendar marked and I'm so happy for you...August 18 will be a great day, even if things sound bad at first. :)

~ Wendi

Janet said...

Karen, I just found your blog through Jennifer & Amanda Bruno's. Congrats on your recent surgery and upcoming activation! I enjoyed reading about your surgery. Good luck on the 18th!

Abbie said...

WOO! Awesome the 18th is nearly here!