Sunday, August 10, 2008

Not a whole lot going on...

Well, I went back to work on Wednesday. Everyone was surprised to see me back so early. That's what they said. I was gone 2 1/2 weeks. I was ready to go back. I don't need to hear in order to do my job. I mean, it would be nice to be able to hear but I get by. So far everyone has been patient. So that's nice. Life has pretty much gone back to normal except now I can't hear much and now I'm bionic. :-) I am having trouble sleeping but hopefully I'll get over it eventually.

My head still has some numbness to it. My ear feels a little funky but there is no pain. I'm still aware that there is something in my head. It's funny when I go to bed at night...every night with out fail I go to take the hearing aid out of my right ear. Haha! There is no hearing aid there. I think my ear feels funky so I think there is something there. It happens all the time. Isn't that odd?

My activation is a week from Monday. My Mom, my sister (and her daughter Alana), and my other niece (from a different sister) are coming down for the activation. Now, my niece Alana just turned ONE!! She's just a little thing and sooo cute. I can't wait to see her. My other niece is the one who came to visit a couple of months ago and she is 19 years old. I am more excited about seeing my family than I am about the activation. They are coming down on Sunday and leaving on Monday which is a bummer but my Mom and niece have to be back at work on Tuesday and frankly, so do me and my husband. So, it's a quick trip. I can't believe they are coming all this way for this. I am glad they are. I just try to remind them that I am not going to like the sounds that I hear. I have visions of myself taking the processor off and throwing it across the room. Since other people will be there I will take the processor off and hug it no matter how bad things sound! :-)

Well, not much is going on which I am okay with. I will have lots to post about when they activate the implant. :-)

8 comments:

Kara said...

Hi Karen! I'm so thrilled for you that you got to go back to work already and are doing so good with all of this. I've been following your blog (you're good at this whole blogging thing!). I'll be anxious to hear how the 18th goes with you being 'turned on'.
Take care kiddo!
Thinking of you,,,,,,,,
Kara (from ada boards in case you forgot, lol).

Kara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kara said...

Ok, I'm not so good at leaving comments on blogs apparently, lol. I deleted my second comment because it was a duplicate of my first! So, this one is here to explain the deletion.
I couldn't tell if my comment was posted or not! I think I 'get it' now and should be able to do better soon!
Anyway, glad to read up on ya!

Laurie said...

Hey Karen! You are moving right along! It took me awhile to get used to not having the hearing aid in my implanted ear. But you will LOVE not having an ear mold!

Remember not to expect too much on your first day of activation. Everything will sound funny and foreign. But the first day is usually the worst and the sounds will settle in after a few days.

I'll be out of town on the 18th but will want to hear all about it!

Shari said...

Your activation is coming up fast. Mine is in two weeks. I still have numbness on the top half of my ear, about 1/4 of the area behind my ear and my tongue is still numb. I'm surprised I still want to eat. LOL. Can't really taste anything but lemonade.

Jennifer Bruno Conde said...

Congratulations, Karen on getting close to activation date. My stepdaughter's activation date is TODAY!!
Guess I should get off the computer and go to bed!
I'm too excited to sleep!

Good luck on the 18th!

Jennifer :-)

http://jenniferbrunoconde.blogspot.com/

Liz said...

Hey Karen,

Alana and I really looking forward to seeing you and Jason on Sunday. We are super excited about the activation on Monday!! Are you guys going to record this on video?

Love,

Liz

Abbie said...

Oh honey! I'm wishing you the best of luck tomorrow with your activation :) You will be in my thoughts and I will be thinking about you all throughout the day! Laurie's advice is to the T :)