Saturday, August 23, 2008

Making Progress!

I realized today that I am making progress. It's a very slow progress but hey...it's good. Things still sound terrible...but I have been able to figure a few things out with my husband's help!

I am starting to identify some sounds....sorta! They all sound the same but some how I can figure it out. I'm not even CLOSE to understanding language but I can tell when someone is talking. Of course I have no clue what they are saying.

The chain saw/white noise is still there...BUT I figured it out. The roar/white noise is actually me hearing things. Thursday all I really heard was white noise/chain saw sounds. Friday I wore the implant to work. In fact, I never took a break from the implant. My job is in a terribly noisy environment. I may have taken the implant off for less than a minute to look at the processor or something but I never took a "break" from it. I keep hoping that the longer I wear it the faster I can get rid of this crazy noise??? Wishful thinking? Perhaps but today I have moments of silence! Yup! Finally! So, the white noise/chain saw sounds kick in when I hear the air conditioner and when the fridge and when a car goes by. I can't really tell the difference between the fridge and the air conditioner but I know I hate both. LOL. I can tell when a car drives by b/c the sound comes and goes very quickly.

I am just so thankful to have moments of silence WITH the CI on. The roar always existed. I could never get a break and no I can! I think this is progress. Maybe not by much but it IS progress. Oh, and I have moved up to Program 2. It is louder but I like it better b/c I feel like my chances of understanding speech are better with Program 2 than Program 1. My husband and I went through the alphabet last night and I couldn't really understand it....but that's okay. I know I'm jumping the gun a lot but at least I am trying new things. I think that is important. I have tried program 3 and program 4 for a little while but did it just to try it out. I am so glad I'm not afraid of the processor anymore. After Monday I was really scared of it. But Thursday when we re-did the inital mapping I was able to tolerate sound and became less afraid of it. When I put the processor on now I don't jump or get nervous like I did previously and I thank the Lord for that.

I remember thinking "will I ever get a moment of silence with the CI's on"? and that has happened. Thank you Lord! I still have a very long way to go...very long way...but again...seeing progress encourages me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

YES! Karen, this is great news! :)

I think it will get better and better for you. What you described (the roar happening whenever you heard sound) is also what it's like for me.

Speech is getting better but then I'll hear the roar (for me it's more like buzzing) and I'll have to ask what the sound is. This morning it happened when Dave used the coffee grinder. Weird!!

I'm so glad you finally got some silence...you are doing GREAT. Keep at it, it can only get better!!

Hugs,

Wendi

Laurie said...

Wonderful news, Karen! You are making progress! The "roar" could very well be your auditory nerve rebelling with all that new sound. The first sound I ever heard with my CI was the fan in the audiologist's office. Took a long time for the speech to kick in. . . but I heard lots of environmental sounds first. It sounds like you are doing good and it can only get better from here on!

Also, remember, when you change programs, it takes the brain a little while to accept the new settings. If you don't like it right away. . . wait. . .

My husband and kids read children's books to me in the beginning for language training. I also took A/V therapy for a YEAR. It does make a difference and your insurance should cover it.

Hugs! Laurie

Shari said...

Hey, baby steps, girl!! This is great. I should have looked here first before I sent you that email. :)

You know, I was thinking, how when I first turn on my HA, I get this "air hissing" sound or something like a lot of people clapping then it becomes recognizable sounds. I wonder if that is similar to the buzzing/ hum/white noise/chain saw you hear?

I should be able to get at-home auditory training as a homework monitor. :) My youngest will have to read her homework to me. :)

I am happy it's getting better. Remember, baby steps. (This is a reminder for me, too.) :)

Jennifer Bruno Conde said...

Sounds like you're on the right track, Karen. I hope everything keeps sailing along and that things sound clearer and clearer.

Hmmm, I just realized I am using transportation metaphors!

Jennifer :-)

Cyborg Queen said...

Whooot! I'm glad that things are getting better for you...

For about 2 months, I had trouble with the "white noise", and it annoyed the crap out of me. After quite a few adjustments, it has gotten much better. Remember, your "dead" ear has not been able to "filter" out noises like that. A lot of sounds bothered me when I was first activated, but then after many tweakings these sounds has reduced. (It's because I had the NRT done, and Electrode 12 was out of wack). The only sound that I find annoying is the A.C.

Hugs!

Abbie said...

Now you hit the nail on the head :) The more you wear it the more your brain will learn to discriminate the white noise :)