Sunday, July 27, 2008

5 Days Post Op....not happy

Hey Everyone,

On Thursday and Friday I was in high spirits. Feeling really good. However, Saturday I started getting a sore throat and my tongue was hurting a bit. The way I figure it is the numbness as worn out. I figure my throat is irritated from the tube they put down there for the surgery. Plus I'm feeling a little more dizzy than normal but that might be the meds. I stopped taking pain pills on Thursday but I took one today b/c I needed to sleep because I didn't sleep well last night. That wasn't a great idea b/c now I feel worse and I'm sure it's the half a pain pill I took that is making me feel this way. I have an appt. in the morning to see Dr. Merwin so hopefully he will be able to look at my throat. This really sucks b/c I was feeling so much better and now I feel as if I took a turn for the worse.

I am shocked I can even post. I guess I want feed back. Anyone else go through this? Let me know.

Thanks!

4 comments:

Laurie said...

Karen, I'm sorry you aren't feeling well. . . try to rest and stay ahead of the pain. . . take the pain medicine. . .

Your sore throat could be due to the tube they put down your throat or allergies if you have them. You may feel dizzy as the swelling inside your head goes down. . .

Let me know what Dr. M. says. . . hugs! Laurie

Anonymous said...

Karen, I had the same type of setback on Saturday. I feel a LOT better today, or else I'd be nervous too.

I still take Vicodin at night, and during the day I alternate them, broken in half, with extra-strength Tylenol. The pain isn't BAD but if I feel pain at all (dull aching/throbbing) then I take something.

The first day I stopped taking Vicodin (broken in half) regularly was Saturday. I took one in the morning and had a near-fainting episode, so I switched to Tylenol. I proceeded to have a TERRIBLE day but like you, I assumed it was the Vicodin at first. Now I'm not so sure, since stopping it made me feel even worse. :-0

Anyway, Saturday I had no energy at all. I was light headed and barely made it off the couch all day. At one point in the morning, I had to lie back and felt almost like I was going to faint. It wasn't dizziness but just serious light-headedness...it's hard to explain. It freaked me right out.

Dave kept telling me it was normal, and major surgery, and to give my body time to heal from a major trauma. I think because we come home the same day, we forget that it's really serious stuff they do to us!

I was also really hoarse on Saturday (and Friday). I couldn't tell, really, since I can't hear myself talk but my family mentioned it and I could tell they were having a hard time hearing me. I assume it was from the breathing tube.

I really, really hope you are feeling better soon, but I just wanted to post to let you know that you are not alone!

Big hugs,

Wendi

Abbie said...

I found that taking the Vicodin past five days started to create adverse effects. It wasn't just numbing the pain, it was making me feel light headed, gave me dry mouth (cotton mouth) which aggravated my throat, achy and whatever else. Maybe the doctor will suggest you to come off the not-so-good-stuff and try tylenol. Good luck at your appointment today!!

Cyborg Queen said...

Yes, it's typical. :-) When I had my left done, my throat was sore for a week, and I hated it because I couldn't really swallow anything or eat much because my mouth wouldn't open as well. I did feel dizzy for a week or so..only if I move around too fast.

With my right surgery, it was totally opposite. Same surgeon, same stuff was done, but I specifically told her to use a smaller tube, and she used gas induction instead of Propofol (IV white stuff). That totally made me felt better. Two months from now, you'll look back and think - Damn, I went through that? I don't remember! ;-)