Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Can you believe it?

Today is July 1st! Can you believe it? I can say..."I'm having surgery at the end of the month" or "I'm having my CI surgery on the 22nd (I don't even have to say the month anymore). Wow...time really is moving...though some days it doesn't feel like it.

I know the 4 weeks of waiting for activation will be painfully slow...well, it will feel that way. However, at least the first few days will go by fast since I plan on sleeping a lot and taking it easy. Bring on the pain meds! Haha. I just hope I’m not miserable. No one can really tell me how that part is going to go b/c everyone has different experiences. Thankfully I’ve read a variety of those experiences so hopefully nothing unexpected will happen. I’ve read the good, the bad and the really bad. I’m hoping for the good…naturally.

I’m leaving on Thursday to go to GA for a mini-vacation. I’ll be back in TN on the 7th. I probably won’t be blogging much. I wanted to post now in case the rest of the week became too hectic. I’m going to hang out all with family and friends….and on Sunday I’m going to Six Flags! I’m so excited about that. I haven’t been to Six Flags in years. The way I see it…this is my last HURRAH before surgery. I’ve been looking forward to it for a while. So, when I return I know that everything else is right around the corner. Next time I go to Six Flags I won’t even wear my seat belt when I ride a roller coaster. Nope…I’m going to depend on my magnet to keep me stuck to the seat. KIDDING! I promise I will always wear my seat belt on a roller coaster….or a car… or a plane…or a helicopter (you get the picture). I bet there is a warning label on CI’s… “Magnet will not keep you from falling off a roller coaster please buckle seat belt”…if not then there should be.

If anyone has any tips or advice for me on what to do prior to surgery speak now (well, within the next three weeks) or forever hold your peace. I did read some useful stuff on other sites such as CI Hear…clean the house, get errands done; etc. Anything else?

I want to thank everyone for their support and all the people I’ve gotten to know. I think blogging was one of the best things I could have done. I love talking to other people with CI’s. It’s encouraging. I wish I could explain it more. I think it keeps me calm (b/c I’m not freaking out) knowing that so many people are doing well and have had such great success. Now, just b/c I’m not freaking out at the moment doesn’t mean I won’t be at some point. I’m not afraid to admit that the day before surgery I might be feeling a little nervous. The morning of surgery I may need something to calm my nerves…thankfully the hospital can hook me up with something….if not I’ll find someone who can!

Well, I’m signing out for tonight. I’ll be sure to fill everyone in on the trip when I return. Oh and those of you who don’t know…CI Hear has a chat every Monday night at 9pm and it’s GREAT! I went on last night and I loved it. I have every intention of becoming a regular. So, stop by if you haven’t already.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karen, I didn't know CI Hear had a chat -- thanks for mentioning it! I'll have to stop by next week.

THREE WEEKS, girl! Three weeks from today. We're surgery buddies! :)

I have to go buy a shirt that buttons up -- I remember reading that you should wear one so you don't have to pull anything over your head after surgery (ouch). The only shirts I have that button up are flannel shirts and that's not gonna happen in July. ha ha!

Have fun on your vacation -- it sounds like it'll be a great time!

~ Wendi

Cyborg Queen said...

wooooot!

Things to do - Have a new book ready to read, get a nice long ice pack (to put on the head to help ease the swelling), just enjoy your rest!!

Abbie said...

I was like a pregnant woman nesting the day before my surgery. I cleaned up the entire house and the yard. I made some freezable dishes that I could just pop in the microwave. I just vegged and took it easy. I had my surgery on Monday and I started driving on Saturday. Note that it was driving and not walking. I didn't do so well with the walking bit :) I though I was feeling up to snuff to go pick up my meds from Pathmark and I ended up almost passing out walking in. So take it easy babe :)