Wednesday, July 23, 2008

I am Officially bionic!

Hey everyone! I don't really have enough energy to write a alot. I just wanted everyone to know the surgery went fine. I was a bit out of it when I woke up. It was a rough day yesterday. I was in a lot of pain and then around 9:30ish I decided to eat some soup. My husband went to go make it and then I stood up and told him I'm going to be sick and sure enough as soon as I walked in the bathroom I threw up for a few minutes. It's the first time in my life that I threw up without crying. So I was proud of myself and how I handled it. I didn't eat the soup after that. Today wasn't fun either but I was able to take off the awful band that goes around my hear/head. Although this evening I feel a little better. I even took a shower.

The pain has been intense but I'm sure it will fade. I've been taking pain pills but I don't like how I feel when I wake up. However, I am taking one before I go to bed. It helps me get through the night. I've been having bouts of tinnitus's but I am sure that will fade too. The sounds I hear are weird. Very weird. I'm not too worried about it though.

I have a huge bruise on my neck. I feels like I have a crick in my neck but I think it's the bruise. I also have 2 stitches next to my chin. I asked the doctor since I will be asleep for the surgery could he go ahead and remove a mole near my chin and he did it! Haha. I had it removed in Jan and it came back and the dermatologist said it might so Dr. Merwin cut it out for me. He really didn't have to do that but he was cool about it.

My husband has been taking great care of me. I'm so thankful for him. If he's doing something in another room I have a bell that he gave me to ring if I need him for anything! Isn't that funny? haha. I love that man.

I go back on Monday for a follow up visit. I wonder if they will take the stables and stitches out then or wait a few more days.

I will write more later and I will post some pictures. I just want to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers. oh and if this has a lot of typos in it...forgive me. I'm not even checking it! I'm just going to post and then lay down.

Officially Bionic...
~Karen

6 comments:

Laurie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laurie said...

Yay! You are doing great! All the stuff you are experiencing is normal and par for the course. Your husband is a sweetie! I think you should keep him!

Isn't Dr. Merwin great? He is pretty good about doing "special requests". Keep us updated on your progress.

Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Karen, my surgery buddy! I'm so glad to see this post from you!! I did the same thing, I threw up the night of my surgery (probably right around the same time you did...LOL) It came out of nowhere and I didn't make it to the bathroom, so at least be thankful for that. ha ha!!

I still have that darn bandage on -- I can take it off tonight and wash my hair. Can't wait!!

I have a post-op checkup on Aug. 8 and activation is Aug. 20.

I really hope you're feeling better today!! I'm pretty much staying on the couch, taking pain meds and sleeping and reading all day long.

I've been thinking about you and it was fantastic to read your update. I'm not feeling up to a long post yet on my blog...maybe this weekend.

Big hugs,

Wendi

Cyborg Queen said...

Woot! Gives me good memories of my surgery for the left. My right was smooth sailing, better than my left.

Does it sound like some roaring sounds in your ear like airplane engine or something? Perfectly normal. :-) Of course, everyone would tell you that. I always thought it has to do with the fact that because the surgeons are using a drill to shave the skull, so your ears are retaining that noise.

Yes, it will go away. For some people it took a couple days, others a couple weeks (took me about 3 weeks for the roaring sound to go away...until I was activated).

Enjoy the time of having your husband wait hand and foot for ya...and maybe stretch it out for a day or two more. :-)

Susan said...

Hey girl-hooray it is done! I am with you on that husband (he's great) and after meeting his dad I see where Jason gets it.(He also cares for you very much.) Sounds like you are doing great. Now the really hard part-- the wait. Not sure who is more excited you or me. I am so looking forward to all the wonderful reports of glorious sound to come.
Love you,
Susan

Abbie said...

Karen,

I'm just getting caught up but I am so sorry that you are not having the easiest of recoveries here. It will get better. Did you happen to get an anesthesia patch for the nauseousness?