Thursday, July 31, 2008

It has been 9 days since my surgery....

I've been able to catch up on some blogs and it looks like people are doing great. Wendi and Shari have come through with flying colors. I'm happy to say that I feel better myself.

I have to admit that reading that people were awake and coherent after the surgery just blew me away. I couldn't wake up. It was so weird. In fact, Dr. Merwin got special permission to let my husband back to the OR recovery to put in my hearing aid and help me understand the nurses. I kept demanding water but they couldn't give it to me. I couldn't even keep my eyes open long enough to read lips let alone anything else. I think I was finally able to open my eyes and stay awake around 9pm that night. How I got home is a blur! In fact all I have are bits and pieces of waking up. I don't really have solid memories. I think I am extremely sensitive to anesthesia? I have no idea. I've had surgery before but I never went home the same day so it's hard to compare them. All I know is that I was extremely out of it and I stayed that way for a while.

After the first few days I was feeling much better and in high spirits and then I started having problems with my throat. It hurt to eat and to swallow. It was weird. I know it had to do with the tube down my throat but I didn't learn that until later. Then I developed a bad, bad case of acid reflux which lasted a couple of days and that freaked me out as well. Thankfully, my sister Liz knows tons about acid reflux b/c she's dealt with it for a long time. She was able to give me some tips. Thank you Liz! I can say that is behind me now. I think having other problems started to freak me out and caused a lot of anxiety. I think I just expected my head to hurt and not much else.

I still have the staples and stitches which is a pain in the butt. I really feel like I could be back at work at this point if those were gone. They are coming out on Monday and I'm extremely thankful for that. I don't feel completely normal yet. I still have some throbbing on my head at times and some weird pressure type feelings but that's it. No pain or anything. I usually take Tylenol when I wake up in the morning and before I go to bed. I wish I could blow dry my hair and all of that but with the staples and stitches I'm still a little nervous to do that. I don't really like touching my head or my ear so I avoid that area all together. I have to clean my ear with soap and water and thankfully my husband does that for me.

My only other problem...is my taste buds. They are still a little whacked out. Oddly enough the only thing that I can't eat...well drink is Diet Pepsi and Diet Dr. Pepper. I lived off these two drinks prior to surgery. I try to drink a can of it and it just tastes BAD, BAD, BAD. It's really funny b/c I am very well known for my Diet Pepsi obsession. Needless to say I've been drinking plain old water since the surgery. I hate water. I loathe water but that's the only thing I can stand at this point. It's healthier so that's one way to look at it. -Sigh- I can only assume that the caffine addiction has been overcome? I don't know. Last time I went a day without a Diet Pepsi I thought I was going to die a slow horrible death. I don't really feel like that now.

I think I mentioned this before but I asked Dr. Merwin to remove a mole for me. He did. He took the stitches out for that on Monday and I'm a little nervous about it. There is a huge gash were the mole was. It's not pretty. I leave a band aid over it with some nerosporin. Hopefully, that will heal better before I go back to work. The dermatologist would have had to do the same thing so I don't regret having Dr. Merwin do it. I was already asleep might as well kill two birds with one stone.

So, yesterday I decided I was craving some chic-fa-la and there isn't one near the house....well there is one in the food court at the mall near our home so we went there. My husband got something different. We got our food to go. I get a little apprehensive being in public that I'm going to scare people with the staples and stitches. Haha. Since I can't blow dry my hair I don't wear it down b/c it looks BAD! Anyway...back to the subject... As I was waiting in line there was a guy in front of me with a casted arm. I happened to look up and guess what? He was wearing a cochlear implant. I really wanted to say something to him. However, if I showed him my head and he was about to eat maybe he would be grossed out. So, I decided not to. My husband was blown away. He was like "what are the chances of that"? I agreed!

Well, I will go read my book now. I miss my hubby since he is back at work. He did a great job taking care of me! Too great. I miss him a ton while he's gone. I really want to thank everyone for their encouragement. It means soooo much to me. I am looking forward to Monday and will hopefully find out my activation date as well.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice blog...

Laurie said...

Karen,

You have not been far from my thoughts! Your recovery is very similar to mine. . . I don't remember much from waking up from my second surgery. . . in fact, I asked my son to give me my cell phone that evening and was texting random people about stupid stuff!

And tomorrow I will start Day 9 without my cell phone. I am going nuts!

My taste buds were weird, too, the second time around. Chocolate tasted terrible for a long time. But it will get better. Not drinking soda is actually a good thing. . . I rarely drink it!

Your head will feel SO MUCH BETTER when you get those staples out! I want to see you again soon! Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Karen, I know!! I wanted so bad to just sleep, sleep, sleep. I had to really force myself to keep opening my eyes.

When I got home, I was lying on the couch without my glasses, holding my cell phone right up to my face and texting Abbie. LOL! I alternated between her and my son (who was with my mom) til my mom and the kids got to the house. I wasn't ready to put my contacts in yet and I couldn't hold my glasses and the phone at the same time. I'm sure I looked ridiculous!

I'm so glad you're getting your stitches out soon -- that will make you feel better, I'm sure.

And that is so cool that you saw someone else with a CI! The only time I ever have has been in the doctor's office and at the Illinois CI club meetings. I would be tempted to say something too! :)

Hang in there, you're doing great!!

~ Wendi

Shari said...

Looks like you are healing nicely. Soon we will be sharing our activation experiences. My activation date is Aug. 25. :)

I am sure you will feel better with the stitches/staples out.

What are the odds of you seeing another CIer? How cool is that?

I can understand your Diet Pepsi/Diet Dr. Pepper addiction. I quit cold turkey a few months ago and had intense caffeine withdrawal symptoms...a huge headache.

BTW, I posted some pictures up....FINALLY. :)

Cyborg Queen said...

If you're concerned a bit about your scar for your mole, consider getting Mederma. I used it for the CI scars behind the ears, and they pretty much disappeared. :-) It's a bit on the expensive side, but it's worth it.

BTW - my name is not Amy. :-D It's DJ. I saw "Amy - Just Another Cyborg", and thought it was someone else with the same "name" as mine...turned out it was mine! LOL! I think you were thinking of SkullChick - she's Amy.

Yeah - I HATE water as well. People say, "Why?" Then I would say, "I don't like the taste." I know there's no taste, so I think that was the problem! :-)

Abbie said...

I'm glad to see you are recovering quite nicely :) I am the same way with plain water, I must have it flavored. I'm addicted to the Walmart brand Cherry Limeade sugar-free water flavor stuff :)